79 are now presumed dead in the Grenfell Tower fire in London.
From The NY Post:
The number of people killed in London’s Grenfell Tower inferno climbed to 79 — but may rise even further, police said Monday.
Five of the victims have been formally identified so far, Metropolitan Police Commander Stuart Cundy said, the Telegraph reported.
Cundy said the “awful reality” was that it might not be possible to identify all the victims. Some families have lost more than one member, he added, the paper reported.
“On Saturday I went in myself and went to the top floor,” he said. “And it is incredibly hard to describe the devastation in some parts of that building.”
The death toll might continue to climb, authorities cautioned, because search operations are ongoing in the remains of the charred, gutted building.
Meanwhile, the government announced that those displaced by the massive blaze will be given the equivalent of at least $7,000 from an emergency fund.
Residents who met Prime Minister Theresa May over the weekend complained that they had not been consulted about the compensation before the announcement was made.
“We naturally welcome funds for those in need, though this does show once more the tendency to sideline residents’ views,” the residents said in a statement, the paper reported.
“At No. 10 (Downing Street) yesterday, the prime minister assured the group that from now on residents would be consulted on a coordinated relief effort. This has not happened with these funds,” they said.
Read more: (Link: nypost.com)