Multiple families are left in mourning as the death toll from the Venezuelan protest against President Nicolas Maduro climbs to nine individuals.
A man was killed in a protest in the Venezuelan capital on Thursday night, an official said on Friday, marking the ninth death in a wave of sometimes violent demonstrations against President Nicolas Maduro's government.
Melvin Guaitan died of a bullet wound in the slum of Petare, municipal mayor Carlos Ocariz said via Twitter. Local media reported looting and street clashes with security forces in poor areas of Caracas late on Thursday and early Friday.
"We demand that those responsible for this incident are investigated and punished," wrote Ocariz, without providing additional details.
Opposition leaders have promised to keep up their protests, demanding that Maduro's government call regional elections that have been delayed since last year, free almost 100 jailed opposition activists and respect the autonomy of the opposition-led Congress.
They are calling for community-level protests across the country on Friday, a white-clad "silent" march in Caracas on Saturday to commemorate those killed in the unrest, and a nationwide "sit-in" blocking Venezuela's main roads on Monday.
Read more: (Link: www.reuters.com)