Former Congressman John Conyers has endorsed his son for his empty position.
Conyers was forced out of his position when accused by several women of sexual misconduct.
Democrat John Conyers’ bedside wish for his son to take his Michigan House seat, after being forced from Congress over a sexual misconduct scandal, likely won’t come true -- now that the younger Conyers reportedly has failed to qualify for the ballot.
The Wayne County Clerk Office’s elections staff said last week that John Conyers III, the ex-congressman’s son, was ineligible because he didn’t submit enough valid signatures on his application to run in the Aug. 7 Democratic primary, according to local reports.
The review was launched after a challenge from another Conyers family member. Clerk Cathy Garrett was expected to make an official announcement soon.
Conyers, who turned 89 this month, had backed his son in a December 2017 radio interview from a Michigan hospital where he was recovering from the stress of the scandal.
“My legacy cannot be compromised or diminished in any way,” Conyers said at the time. “I have a great family legacy, especially in my oldest boy, John Conyers III, who I incidentally endorse to replace me in my seat in Congress.”
Apparently Conyer's son wasn't the only one in the family wanting the position. Ian Conyers, a state Senator and great nephew of John Conyers also threw his name in the hat, and had a hand in getting his cousin denied.
Let us know if you think the Conyers family needs to let it go. Leave us a comment.